50% work in progress




Introduction

It is always amazing to have a rest and take a time on reflecting past things that you have done. You may realise that how childish are you for looking a small matter until a big issue. The process is like, hey why those days I need to laugh and cry on such small matter. Every single opportunity that you have bravely taken has change your perspective in much matter.

My first 2 years university life franking speaking, most of my time was spent on event, no matter being participants or organising committee. I have very little time on what is so called supper time because most of my night are spent on meeting, either activities or assignment. It is a kind of regret for me to over focus on personal development until I have ignored much social life. I think it is good to summarise my half university life with a few elements. 






      1. Rejection

The process of accepting rejection isn’t easy. When I first time enter university, I will never imagine that University of Malaya is such a competitive place. You will never forget during every single orientation, seniors are going to tell you coming to university is to do what you enjoy and learn something new. However, the harsh reality is it is difficult to get what you really want without a strong historical record, especially in competitive event. I didn’t have a stunning co-curricular past record in school, with limited talent and capability, it was a norm for me to face lot of rejections during interview. It may sound fantastic that I have much track record of event experience currently, but the truth is most of my commitment are not my first choice, but it seems like the only choice to select since I have no better alternative.

The most heart-breaking moment was the moment I got rejection after spending a few days generating a 12 pages proposal. At the end I was not even offered any single position. I was attending a volunteering briefing for a debate competition during that period while I knew I was not selected. It was indeed Dark Ages for the university life. I could never imagine that there was a day that I was no longer needed as part of the team.  

However, the rejection has turned out becoming a great thing in the end. It takes me a few days to sit in room and do a complete self-reflection. I start to appreciate whatever that I have and decide to strive harder to prove myself. In first-year I used to believe that the more events you join, the more things you gain. But at the end, it is not about the quantity, but quality matters most. After continuous different commitment on September 2018, I decide to change my attitude towards event. I reject quite a few offers and just focus on a few commitments on second year. I wish from that period onward, I manage to bring some impact from the position held instead on just getting the title and designation. If not, at least I need to learn how to enjoy the process.

Lesson: The conclusion is you cannot just say be yourself all the time and do only what you like because this is the reality of world. Accept the alternate offer first before you get a better choice. Every bad thing that incur might turn out to be something positive at the end. Just be optimistic and do it in the utmost. Whatever that you do, do it sincerely.




      2. Mistake

It is always great honour to be bestowed with responsibility. However, there is a lot of time due to the desire to attempt, I forget what is so-called understand your own limitation. In first-year I apply whatever event because I used to think that I can cope with it. At the end, great projects reject me, but I receive a lot of small projects. At the end, I make myself over hectic, but not everything that I am busy with can add on my self-value. First year life is quite horrible for me, I am pushing myself too hard until I forget about the initial motive for joining something. I join a lot of activities but at the end I feel that I do not learn much. My excitement from participating activities has lost.

In first year, becoming Pemudahcara Mahasiswa is my goal. In order to achieve it, I need to perform well in my residential college commitment. At the end, I decide to quit some external commitment, because it does not align with my objective. I am sorry for the moment I quit certain commitment, and I think what if those days I was mature enough to face the problems by having a heart-to-heart talk first instead of just quitting it. Honestly, it may be one of the greatest mistakes in my half university life.

During the commitment I did a lot of mistakes due to the lack of experience and confidence. My low self-esteem characteristic causes huge trouble for myself. It takes me a long time for me to partially overcome it. And still, thank you for those who still believing and willing to give me an opportunity even though frankly speaking I had done quite a few horrible errors in the past event. Every single exposure has more or less changed me a lot in term of maturity in decision making. Forgive me if today I am still not good enough.

Lesson: The conclusion is be brave to step out from comfort zone and embrace the new challenges. Learn to enjoy the process even though you need to do something that you are not familiar with. Move forward even though you have done mistake, university shall be a place for you to learn and grow.




3.  Award


In my school life, I was a pessimistic and introvert boy, at that moment I don't even know how am I going to survive in the campus. I was fortunate enough in my half university life, I manage to receive 4 personal award and 1 team competition award. However, the reality is there are more and more people surrounding who have better talent and stronger qualification to hold the title. I admit that sometimes I am the lucky one, but the luck only comes when they see you have enough hard work. I am still learning every single day from everyone. 

It does not matter you are seniors, batchmates or juniors, every person has respective intrinsic quality. I believe that award does not define somebody, just like CGPA does not define a person’s capability in workforce. I love to be participative and listen the idea around on how to make something better instead of looking at historical record, especially on the current system and strategy, no matter who you are. One person is never perfect, but when we consolidate each other strengths and weaknesses and brainstorm together in a team, we will be innovatively perfect.

It is indeed a sad case for most people to look at position and award as the only definition of success. When you get involved in something, the knowledge and experience that you gain cannot be measured quantitatively. And yet, this invaluable abstract is going to bring you to somewhere further in your life. It does not matter you are a leader or follower, you are equally important in an organisation. Friendship is another kind of award that you will gain by joining events. Rather that only hanging around, joining event together can make you more understand a person, and the leftover friendship is long-lasting. Yet, it is another unmeasurable item. Life is about self-progression, just keep learning, unlearning and relearning constantly.

Lesson: The conclusion is not everything in the world can be measured by data, no matter how strong the technology is. Be humble and keep learning from everyone, emphasise on the inner core value rather than the person when making judgement.





Conclusion

You don't need to be rich to donate, same goes that you don't need to be successful to share experience. Every single experience, no matter it is a good or bad one, can orchestrate you to become better self-version. I am grateful for choosing to be actively join event in my first two years of university life. The uncertainty throughout the process is worrying yet thrilling.

My last advice, enjoy and learn throughout the process and share the journey. You will never know how far you can go until you give yourself a try. Always bear in mind that you are always amazing in your own way. I would like to end my essay with one quote of Bill Gates, “Don't compare yourself with anyone in this world. If you do so, you are insulting yourself.”

Thank you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

University of Malaya (UM) interview experience 2017

Scholarship Application ( Failure Experience )

University of Malaya (UM) Life 10 Fun Facts

University of Malaya (UM) Campus Activities

Welcome to University of Malaya (UM) !